Monday, July 20, 2009

4051 Chip as Demultiplexer


Spent today trying to use arduino to control a series of LEDs through a CD4051BE multiplexer/demultiplexer.

Referred to a series of tutorials on the chip, but it appears that all successful ones are for multiplexer (reading in) rather than demultiplexer.

I am planning on using these chips to read about 32 photosensors. I started out trying to do the demultiplexer with LEDs because there is a voltage input required, and I wasn't sure if the photoresistors will send it through. Therefore, I thought building with LEDs would be a good first step.

Unfortunately, I was unable to get the demultiplexer to output on a single channel. As arduino parses through the 8 combinations of 3 bits, the LEDs light up a variable amount. I appears that there is always a voltage going through, and the amount of voltage is dependent on the chip.

Potential problems are
1) I am not wiring this correctly
2) I am sending bits incorrectly in the arduino code
3) 4051 is not a good chip to use for demultiplexing.

No comments: